Office Location (Downtown Silver Spring):
1001 Spring Street
Silver Spring, MD 20910
Ages Served: Adults of All Ages
My Specialties Include:
Relationship issues: Monogamy, primary, polyamory, and kink affirmative, I help clients develop and improve relationships with partners and spouses, family (including pets), friends and colleagues. I have led relationships workshops at community centers and places of worship in New York and Virginia.
Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Intersex and Asexual+ (LGBTQIA+) Affirmative Therapy: My doctoral dissertation was the first study of gay affirmative psychotherapy, and my master's thesis focused on bisexuality and social stigma. I have taught Relational Practice with Clients who are LGBTQIA+ at the Institute of Contemporary Psychotherapy and Psychoanalysis (ICP+P) and I presented on LGBTQIA+ issues at the Richmond Academy of Clinical Psychology.
Issues of Race, Ethnicity and Culture: I am on the Steering Committee of the Center for Race, Ethnicity and Culture at the Washington School of Psychiatry. I have taught Sociocultural Issues in Social Work Practice at Adelphi University and Relational Practice with Racial and Sexual Minorities at ICP+P. I have also presented on race, class and gender issues for the National Association of Social Workers (NASW) in Maryland.
Recovery from Depression, Bipolar Disorder, Anxiety (including Social Anxiety), Trauma, Codependency & Addictive Behaviors: I have presented on depression and bipolar disorder at the Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy Study Center (PPSC) and the Virginia Psychoanalytic Society, alcohol abuse at the NASW Annual Addictions Institute in New York and cocaine abuse at PPSC.
Realizing your Career or Calling: I have helped many clients clarify their vocation. For some this has meant a change in career; for others it has meant finding ways to increase satisfaction in a current job and finding fulfillment outside of work.
Spiritual Growth: I have extensive knowledge of Christianity and Judaism, plus some familiarity with and much respect for other religions and spiritualities, including Unitarian Universalism, Ethical Humanism/Culture, Buddhism, Islam, Hinduism. Having participated in personal spiritual direction for several years, I have also presented on Spirituality and Clinical Social Work for NASW Virginia.
Treatment Approach: My primary approach is Relational/Psychodynamic. I also integrate theory and technique from these approaches:
Insurance: I am a provider for
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO and HMO, including CareFirst, BlueChoice, Federal Employee Plan (FEP) and Anthem and
Fees: Sliding Fee Scale for those whose insurance I don't accept and who cannot afford full fees.
- Nearly 30 years' experience providing psychotherapy
- PhD in Clinical Social Work (Union Institute)
- Diplomate in Clinical Social Work (National Association of Social Workers)
- Licensed as a Clinical Social Worker in MD, DC and VA
- Certificate in Psychoanalysis (contemporary relational approach)
- Certificate in Group Psychotherapy (Eastern Group Psychotherapy Society)
- Certified Group Psychotherapist (International Board for Certification of Group Psychotherapists)
- Former Adjunct Faculty, Virginia Commonwealth, Columbia, New York, Fordham & Adelphi University Graduate Schools of Social Work
- Former Full-Time Faculty, Virginia Commonwealth University Department of Psychiatry
- American Group Psychotherapy Association
- Greater Washington Society for Clinical Social Work
- National Association of Social Workers
- Sobriety & Recovery Resources:
- Other Healing Resources: